Monday, April 11, 2011

WHAT AM I READING?



I have a feeling this is going to be one of the best books I have ever read.  It just has that feel even after only two chapters.  Okay maybe not the best, but truly informing and en lighting. I am truly going to try to get my teenage son to read this also.  I think it would be a great informant to go along with what he learns in school.  I can't believe I haven't come across this sooner.

I really am intrigued by this tribe described in the following:

"In the land of the Iroquois, land was owned in common and worked in common.  Hunting was done together, and the catch was divided among the members of the village. Houses were considered common property and were shared by several families"
"...Their kindness, humanity and courtesy not only makes them liberal with what they have, but causes them to possess hardly anything except in common."
"When a woman wanted a divorce, she set her husband's things outside the door."
"The woman attended the meetings, stood outside  the circle of men who spoke and voted, and removed the men from office if they strayed too far from the wishes of the women."
"Children in Iroquois society, while taught the cultural heritage of their people and solidarity with the tribe, were also taught to be independent, not to submit to overbearing authority. they were taught equality in status and the sharing process."

Once I have finished this book I think i am going to have read more about the Iroquois tribes.  I find them fascinating.

This books starts out with Columbus's "discovery of America" and goes up through the Clinton administration.  I'm excited to read every page.

No comments: