Friday, February 25, 2011

FEBRUARY ACTIVITIES

A little back story: 
While I was in Texas I by an act of faith got the opportunity to get into my dream job.  An Activity Director at a Long Term Care Facility. It was challenging and wonderful and creative and busy.  Perfect for....well me. I moved back to Missouri in August 2010 to be closer to my family and for some other reasons that.....that well are none of your bees wax. :)~  When I first moved back the job hunt was on like a maniac.  Followed by weeks of sending resumes everyday and interviews with no results.  So finally I went to temp agency and ended up getting a position at a mortgage company which I have many previous years of experience.  In January 2011 the market slowed WAY down and abruptly all the temps were let go.

I went into total freak out.  Yo bills to pay....yo kids to feed...and all that jazz.  I kept telling myself God has a plan girl.  There is a reason.  Get back on the resume/interview ferris wheel and it will work out.  Almost two weeks into being off and I was getting..........well what the hell do you think? DISCOURAGED! DEPRESSED! FREAK THE HELL OUT! I got a call on one of my resumes from a Long Term Care Facility.  Of which since being back in Missouri I had went on about 4 with not happy endings.  But I called them back and set up the interview.  Faith baby FAITH! So I went to the interview and the Administrator was very cool.  The staff was cool.  And interview was going great.  BUT so had some of the others.  I had walked out of interviews thinking I TOTALLY NAILED THAT & I totally got this job....to end with not getting the job.  This economy BLOWS by the way.  But at the end of the interview the Administrator said she really thought I was a great fit.  She offered me the job on the spot.  SHOCKED? Uhm hell yeah....again this economy has not been good on my self esteem.  So after a tour and meeting the other department heads I excepted the job. To start the following Monday.  


My two weeks of torment were over.  My worry would end.  I would still be able to feed my kids and keep a roof over there head.  AND IT'S THE PERFECT JOB FOR ME! I love working with seniors.  This position was just made for me.  It's business and creativity.  It's helping people.  I decided I would start a monthly blog of pics of some of the highlights/activities we did that month.  I can't show pictures of the residents or anything, but you can kind of get the idea from the pics.  This month all my pics were taken with my cell phone so the pics aren't the best, but this is a new blog post so there is always room for improvement.

I am so so excited about this job and opportunity I want to share what I can about this. Working with seniors is rewarding and challenging and wonderful and stressful, but like I've said a few times already in this blog IT'S THE PERFECT JOB FOR ME. 


So without further wait these are the photos from the activities of February:


A bake sale to help fund residents Valentine's Day party.  Funny, yummy, goodies.

Tissue paper and heart craft Valentine the residents  made for their rooms and to give to family/friends.

Cooking Class we decorating cookies in a Valentine theme of course.  Residents decorated for themselves and other residents and staff.  Icing and sprinkles galore.


The Valentine's Party.  Fun decorating.  We crowned a King & Queen of Hearts, had yummy cupcakes, and music music music.



A visit from farm animals.  This was the cutest thing I've ever seen.  I saw so many of the residents come alive watching the animals walk around, feeding them crackers, and holding them. We had very high participation for this. I am going to have them back in late spring because they then have all the new born baby farm animals. :)




The goat kept pooping on the floor and it really comes out like little pellets. Weird.

Thanks for reading my Activity Director journey.  More to come each month.

Peace, Love, & Hugs
  

No comments: